Software Engineering Team Lead (m/f), Development Lab
Bain & Company is the management consulting firm that the world’s business leaders come to when they want results. Bain advises clients on strategy, operations, technology, organization, private equity and mergers and acquisition, developing practical insights that clients act on and transferring skills that make change stick. The firm aligns its incentives with clients by linking its fees to their results. Bain clients have outperformed the stock market 4 to 1. Founded in 1973, Bain has 51 offices in 32 countries, and its deep expertise and client roster cross every industry and economic sector.
Bain & Company’s relentless focus on results is at the heart of Bain history and culture. Bain strives to make a difference in everything it does. Bain’s people enjoy collaboration and helping others succeed. They are approachable, humble, down to earth, and laugh a lot. While Bain’s people hold common goals, individuals drive the richness of its culture. The best way to fit in is to be yourself. Bain’s people like working with each other. They develop deep, enduring relationships with each other and their clients. And, they enjoy what they do and have fun along the way.
Bain has long been a leader of innovation. Whether by working with private equity or non-profits, or by aligning its success with the success of its clients, Bain has stood apart as a leader in management consulting. Bain’s enriching environment encourages people to achieve their best and make a lasting impact. The accelerated learning process at Bain is unparalleled. Bain also provides the flexibility to pursue your passions and shape your career while with the firm. Bain’s culture is one of opportunity.
As our clients navigate the migration to a digital economy, the Bain Development Lab provides application prototyping and development to help deliver real, actionable results to supplement our consulting work. That means we build apps. A lot of apps. Which means we need to reinvent as few wheels as possible, and get the most out of our own work and the broader development community.
The Software Engineering Team Lead will own the engineering approach for the projects served by their Lab, building slick modern apps across web, iOS and Android. The Team Lead will contribute standards around languages, libraries and frameworks, as well as ensuring that we learn from every app we build to standardize new components for future builds. They will select the right technical stack for each new project and application, making the right decision in the context of the business challenge to be addressed. The Team Lead will lead by example, working with our Software Engineers as well as third parties to build clean, reusable code. Most of this work will be alongside colleagues within ADAPT, but the Software Engineering Team Lead may also support Bain case teams or clients as a subject matter expert in their field.
- Be part of the global team that determines our technology stack
– Stay up to date on the latest trends to bring in the right technologies to make our work better – not just the coolest new thing
– Know when to buy vs. build – don’t reinvent the wheel
– Think about security as an inherent part of our frameworks and build it in
- Own the continuous improvement of our software engineering practices, ensuring that each team and app builds on the best of those that came before
- Drive technical discovery for each project that their team works on, ensuring that we get the architecture right and identify risks and challenges early on
- Drive a behavior-driven-development culture that tests the right things
- Serve as a coach and mentor to the Software Engineering team within the Lab, as well as ensuring quality delivery from third party engineers who augment our capabilities by supporting their integration and coaching the Lab team on how to best collaborate.
- Support our clients as they improve their own Software Engineering capabilities
– Support the Head of the Development Lab as well as members of other Bain teams in developing IP around modern engineering practices and how they can be best implemented within client businesses, bringing hands-on knowledge and expertise
– In some cases, work directly with our clients to help them solve specific challenges around strategy or adoption of modern software engineering practices
- Support the growth of the Lab by playing an active role in hiring
– Identify sources of engineering talent to bring to the Lab, including their own networks
– Assist the Dev Lab Head in defining the interview process for the Lab, including taking the lead on developing the technical portions of the process
Interview engineering candidates
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Five or more years of experience in engineering roles at a start-up or fast growing tech company with a strong track record of increasing mastery and responsibility
- Experience managing and coaching other engineers preferred
- Experience working with or providing services to enterprise customers (Fortune 500, Global 1000) is preferred
- Experience with modern back-end languages and frameworks required (GraphQL, Python/Flask/Django or Node.js/Express preferred)
- Mobile development experience (ideally React Native) preferred
- Database development experience in either SQL or NoSQL environments preferred
- Experience in data science frameworks and tools (Spark, scikit-learn, TensorFlow) useful
- Experience with modern browser technologies and cross-browser compatibility issues
- Strong team and business communication skills – can walk through our approach with technical clients or explain tricky concepts to non-technical people
- Ability to maintain a structured working style in a dynamic and fast-paced environment; can manage and prioritize well, especially trading off today’s fire-drill vs. the longer term
- Customer service attitude and ability to contribute on a team in a non-traditional way
- Willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the practice and case teams
- Strong problem solving and analytical abilities